Tuesday, April 15, 2014

What is it to have a voice in the world ?


I think it's a pretty big deal for anyone to have a voice that's truly theirs in our world today.  With everything and everyone telling us what to be (through media, pictures, facebook, linkedin, newspapers, TV, parents, school.....and the list goes on), it's hard to know what we actually think and believe about life.  It's so hard to extricate ourselves from our loaded world for long enough to know what we think, feel or sense in ourselves.

As I call to mind people who, to me at least, have a clear and strong voice in the world that resonates with me, and I get curious about them, they're mostly not pedalling the same old messages of our sleeping world.  They're speaking of rebellion, peace, freedom, kindness, compassion, vulnerability.  And there are many people who are so hypnotised by the current 'normal' thinking and perception of the world that instead of giving things a chance and a listen, they actually fight them.

I wanted to look at something on homeopathy yesterday (I'm really ill at the moment and I have a virus so I have a perfect opportunity to research homeopathy in my own experience and read up on it) and googled "how does homeopathy work?" and when I typed it in to google, a sponsored (yes sponsored) ad came up at the top of the results of a site called www.howdoeshomeopathywork.com and then when you click on it it is just one page with huge letters saying "IT DOESN'T".

It got me thinking about how much people with something valuable to say (in this case the large list of people who hold homeopathy as an important practice, research or medical system in their lives), but which isn't in the mainstream, have to go through in the face of holding to their truth and the message they want to convey to the world.  There are people invested in (financially and otherwise) in holding us exactly where we are - heading for meltdown probably.  I'm astonished at the world - that we can't just allow each other to explore, that we continually defend ourselves in the face of new thinking.

And I realise I am defending those of us who have something different to say than the mainstream media topics, but I think we need to stand for something strongly and peacefully.

What I stand for is each of us having our voices and letting the world know about them.  I stand for the belief in us all that we have something important to share because we are here, we were born.  And when I mean 'say' and 'voice' this could be the way we greet people, the presence we are around one another, what we write on our blogs, the radio shows we create, the articles we contribute, the films we make, the photographs we take, our instagram accounts.

Here's to our voices and how harmonious they may or may not be!

No comments:

Post a Comment